Monday, December 18, 2017

Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs




This is an easy dinner to prepare for your family on Sundays. You can dump the ingredients in your slow cooker and forget it while you are in church. Just prepare the noodles or mashed potatoes or rice when you come home. Zap some frozen vegetables and you and your family will have a complete delicious meal to relish.

Old and young alike love meatballs. So no need to worry. This dish is a crowd pleaser.

I am watching my salt so I decided to tweak the recipe I found in this website by using dry onion and garlic flakes instead of a packet of Lipton onion soup mix. I also reduced the A1 steak sauce to just one tablespoon.

One more important thing, my friend Emma suggested adding 1/2 teaspoon coffee granules. Guess what? It deepened the flavor of the sauce without you using additional salt or steak sauce. Who knew. You would not know there is coffee but instead your taste buds will enjoy the enhanced umami taste of the dish. My picky taster, my husband, gave this dish two thumbs up.


Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs


Adapted from this website

  • 2 lb bag frozen meatballs
  • 1-10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup, low salt preferably
  • 1 soup can full of water
  • 1 beef bouillon cube
  • 1 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • 1 tsp dry garlic flakes
  • 1 tbsp A1 steak sauce
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules (I used decaffeinated)

Place all the ingredients in the crock pot. Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low. I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting. 

Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes or rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment