Monday, December 11, 2017

Slow Cooker Vegan Apple Soup



The recipe for this delicious soup was inspired by the one provided by my friend Roberta. It has appeared in the website Genius Kitchen.

I made a vegan version skipping the butter as well as the cheddar cheese.  The butter was used in the original recipe to saute the onions. Since I was using the slow cooker I decided to substitute dry onion flakes for the fresh onion and in turn did not see the need for the sauteing step nor the butter.

The original recipe also included cheddar cheese which you add at the end but I did not find that necessary nor did I use a vegan substitute for it but you can. For me the soup was delicious without it.

Roberta warned me to double the recipe since it is addictive. It was so I found and so would you. Perfect autumn or winter soup.


Slow Cooker Vegan Apple Soup


Adapted from Genius Kitchen

  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • 2 cups apple cider
  • 1/2 tsp dry thyme powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1 apple, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 cup non dairy milk
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch

Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook for 3 hours at high setting or for 6 hours a low. I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment