Monday, December 4, 2017

Vegan Acorn Squash Chickpea Stew



I like the sweetness of the squash blending with the heat of the chipotle in the coconut milk tomato base. Somehow they form a symphony of flavors that you want more of it over rice.

One of the ingredients are the stem with leaves from the cauliflower that you discard. Why not use it so I thought and I did. It gave crunch to the dish. I did not use the core though. 

I microwaved the whole squash after making one inch slashes all over it about a millimeter deep. About a dozen or so. I find this better than pricking holes on the squash which tend to result in dry vegetables   I opted to have still firm flesh so I used six minutes as cooking time. 

Vegan Acorn Squash Chickpea Stew


  • 1 acorn squash
  • 1 tsp oil 
  • 1 onion, sliced 
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 2 cups coconut milk from can
  • 1 tsp curry powder 
  • 2 cups cauliflower stems, chopped
  • 1 cup spinach leaves
  • 1 tbsp chipotle, chopped
  • 1 -15 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 -15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Make one inch long slashes around the whole acorn squash. Microwave the whole squash for 6-8 minutes. Scoop the seeds and remove the peel. Cube the squash flesh.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and ginger in the heated oil till they are cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients and braise till the vegetables are cooked.

Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment