Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Art of Being a Humble Conversationalist




I heard these tips during the reflection given by Jordan Sonnett, a seminarian doing his pastoral year at St. John the Baptist Church, at one Saturday Mass. Everytime he mentioned one habit to correct I heard myself saying, Ouch I have done that.

It took me awhile to publish this list since I broke most of them in several meetings I attended right after I heard them. I decided I better figure out why it was becoming too challenging a task.

It has something to do with motivation. I was still looking into my ego or self or what happens to me if I do not follow the tips. When I switched into realizing what my brattiness during meetings or conversations do to the other person, my heart softened. It really was about using the two great commandments to motivate me. Love God. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Making the other the focus has helped me to listen, wait to give opinion, not to correct, allow the other to talk about him or herself and not to interrupt. One important bonus - it has helped me get out of trouble of hurting other people's feelings and as a result I sleep better at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment