Sunday, October 8, 2017

Slow Cooker Lemon Sage Chicken



My late father did the food shopping for our family at our palengke or market place in Malabon.  He would buy what was on sale that day and he would not hesitate to haggle either.  Haggling is part of the game when shopping in the Philippines whether in the market place or even during large transactions.

I did not haggle for the price of one of the ingredients in this dish, namely, the sage.  This herb was generously given to me by my friend, Antonella when I brought her home from our mahjong session at the canoe club in Verona.  I was planning to just freeze it until I find use for it but I decided instead to find a dish using sage in the internet and  found a recipe for Lemon Sage Chicken from this wonderful source.

The recipe I found was not meant for the slow cooker but for the grill.  Most of the ingredients I included below were envisioned to be part of a marinade for the chicken before it was to be grilled.  I was not into grilling nor did I have the time.  When I cooked this I had people coming to learn how to prepare pasta dough at my house.

I decided to use most of the ingredients in the recipe I found in the internet but skipped the oil in the recipe and added baby carrots and potatoes to make it a one pot meal.  This lemon dish is simpler than the one I cooked previously, here in the sense that no canned soup nor dairy were used but still it is just as delicious.  I have also used sage in another chicken dish, here which also used milk.

The sage in the recipe below was surprisingly not that pronounced for which my husband was grateful since he does not like too much herbs in dishes.  It gave a tinge that makes you say "what is that"  when you eat the dish.  The lemon on the other hand dominated the taste which gave it a refreshing delicious flavor.

I suggested in the recipe to have three things available at the end for people to add to give oomph to the dish, namely,  sea salt in a grinder, whole peppercorn in a grinder and dry minced garlic flakes in a bottle.  Believe me. they make a lot of difference added to the cooked dish.


Slow Cooker Lemon Sage Chicken 

Inspired by this source

  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or any cut of chicken
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • 3 potatoes. peeled and quartered
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch in 1 tbsp water
  • 3 tbsp fresh sage leaves (chopped)
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • sea salt in a grinder, whole pepper corn in a grinder and dry minced garlic flakes (as garnish for added flavor)

Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker except the last three ingredients.  Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker at slow cooker setting for 2 hours.


When serving, offer the diners the sea salt. whole peppercorn and dry garlic flakes to add to the dish for added flavor.  They are better applied freshly ground or straight from the bottle in the case of the minced garlic flakes.









No comments:

Post a Comment