Saturday, May 26, 2018

Vegan Korean Jackfruit Bowl



I have read about the latest trend in meat substitute, the green or unripened jackfruit, for a year now but never tried it. I am familiar with the fruit which we call langka in the Philippines. Growing up I ate the ripened jackfruit or sweetened ones cooked in syrup. The latter is used in our native dessert called halo halo and with saging na saba in special fried turon. I have never had the green Jackfruit in a savory dish, however. So I was a bit skeptical about it being this new meat substitute rocking the world of foodies.

I am getting tired of tofu and beans as meat substitutes so I finally gave the jackfruit a try. I bought canned green Jackfruit from Patel Brothers and decided to cook it in bulgogi marinade since I was into Korean flavors these days. Boy I was surprised! It absorbed the sauce readily without getting mushy. It really tasted like pulled pork and did not have the rubbery texture of tofu. I am now a believer.


Here is the simple recipe.

Vegan Korean Jackfruit Bowl


Korean Jackfruit
  • 1-20 oz can young green Jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed (from Asian store)
  • 1/2 tsp each garlic, ginger and onion powders
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (or according to taste)
Bowl Ingredients
  • Cooked rice
  • Mango, cubed
  • Carrot sticks
  • Spinach
  • Cilantro

Place all the ingredients for the Korean Jackfruit in a skillet and allow to gently boil till the sauce is absorbed by the jackfruit. You may add water if it dries up but not too much.

Place the cooked rice in a bowl and arrange the  Jackfruit and garnishes on top. Place some sauce on top of you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment