Saturday, May 9, 2020

Air Fryer Veggie Quesadillas










The Impossible Question was my favorite part in a morning radio show that I listened to in my car on my way to work before I retired.  Among those surveyed for this question, "What is the favorite food that you eat as take out once a week", the answer they gave was a surprise.  It was burrito not burger or fries. Interesting. I do love burritos, but I even relish more its cousin, quesadillas.  It has crunch and the drippy gooey cheese inside.  

I have leftover McKeever cheese sauce from the preparation of another cousin of the burritos, the magnificent enchiladas,  that I wanted to put to good use.  I decided on making quesadillas.  At first I wanted to recreate my Asian quesadillas as a vegan version but I did not want to figure out what to substitute for the meat or to prepare it. Since I just shopped for my veggies at Aldis recently, I decided to use them just chopped and as is as stuffing. Anyway everything tastes good with McKeever gooey cheese . 

I used my air fryer to grill this oil free crunchy vegan version of quesadillas and I was happy with the result. My picky husband gave it two thumbs up but just wished the cilantro was not used. Ok next time picky taster.

You can use any combination of vegetables or use leftover ones from your dinner whether steamed or roasted or as is from a salad. Everything tastes good with cheese and tortillas anyway.

Air Fryer Veggie Quesadillas

  • 1 red or yellow or any color pepper, chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • 1-2 stalks green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup black olives, chopped
  • 4-6 pieces jalapeno from a bottle, chopped
  • 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1 cup McKeever cheese sauce (recipe below)
  • 4 large tortillas or 8 medium

Combine all the vegetables in a bowl and season with cumin and black pepper.

Using a small rubber spatula, spread the cheese on one half of the tortilla leaving half an inch space on the edge.  Add the vegetable mixture on top of cheese.  Fold the other half of tortilla over.

Spray the air fryer with cooking spray.  Position the filled tortilla on top. Repeat with other tortillas. My air fryer accommodates one large tortilla or 2 medium ones at a time.

Air fry for 8 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

You can also bake the tortilla or pan fry.



McKeever Cheese Sauce

Makes 3 cups


1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp onion flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 of 12 oz jar roasted red pepper in water
1-2 tsp garlic powder
1 -2 tbsp chopped jalapeno from a bottle
2 cups warm water

Using a blender, like VitaMix, with the ability to cook food, blend the ingredients for 5 minutes until the cheese sauce begins to get thick.  Once you feel the sides of the blender to get hot and the blender slows down, stop the blender and quickly transfer the sauce in a container that holds at least three cups. The sauce continues to thicken as it cools.

Note:  You can also mix the ingredients in a blender and then transfer it to a sauce pan.  Cook at medium to low heat with stirring until the sauce thickens.





1 comment: