Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Easy Spinach Pie









When I go to the Farmers Market in Monroeville, PA,  I look forward to buying the spinach pie preferably without the feta cheese. This past weekend I was not lucky and I had to settle with the spinach with feta pie.  I decided to try to learn to make my own plain spinach pie.  

According to the taste of the pie,  lemon juice is one of the ingredients.  I did not want to be bothered into wrapping it in a pastry but I have to have something to hold the spinach,  I remember making spanakopadilla before which is a cross between spanakopita and quesadilla.  In that hybrid recipe tortillas were used.  I could have followed that recipe but it was not vegan using egg and cheese.  My favorite spinach pie does not have any cheese and that is what I wanted to make.  


Since I was not in the mood to cut and chop, I used dry spices from my pantry but you can use fresh ones.  Frozen spinach is very convenient to use since you really get a lot per volume and when thawed the water just seeps out that you just drain.  No sqieezing needed.
 

I decided to air fry the pie but it can be baked and pan fried too.  The result is very close to the spinach pie I love at the Farmers Market. Fresh lemon juice is the key as I had guessed.


Easy Spinach Pie


  • 1 10 oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 2 tsps dry onion flakes
  • 2 tsps dry garlic flakes
  • 1/2 tsp dry dill lemon seasoning
  • 1 tsp dry parsley
  • juice of half lemon
  • 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
  • pinch red pepper flakes
  • 2 stalks green onions, chopped (optional)
  • 2 medium flour tortillas

Place all the ingredients except the tortillas in a medium-sized skillet.  Heat at medium heat till the spinach is mixed with the other ingredients and all its liquid has evaporated.

Place part of the mixture into half of a tortilla and fold over the other half. Spray both sides with cooking spray and place in the air fryer basket.

Air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.  Flip half through.




No comments:

Post a Comment