Friday, October 29, 2021

Kathy and Laurie

 

I remember Kathy and Laurie as a package memory.  We met at the pharmaceutical company we worked for in the late eighties in Kansas City. They were both in their twenties and working at their first job with a big company and so was I though I was nearing my forties.  It was a sought after job for me after years of grad school and postdoctoral work. A real job at last.

We have different personalities and backgrounds but we clicked.  One particular denominator we had is  our faith though they were all different. Kathy belonged to the Church of Christ a denomination that I remember as one that sing their hymns a capella. Laurie was raised Catholic but belonged to a different sect when we met. I remember attending their services at certain occasions.  Laurie had Wednesday ones I attended which included the pastor praying over you. I remember going home after a session with thunder and lightning accompanying me on my ride home. At that time I felt my prayer to lift my depression during the laying of hands was being answered and God was showing me a sign.

I attended Kathy's service where hymns were sang a capella and communion host passed in little vessels. She invited my kids to their bible school and myself to a discussion group after their church service.

Both were more into reading the bible than I was.  In fact I credit them both for introducing me to taking it up.  Catholics of my age were brought up cautiously in bible use. We sometimes had bible studies during lunch time where we worked.  One day Laurie came to my house during a bout of anxiety from our job carrying her thick bible with her.

We visited each other at our respective homes.  Laurie was single and lived by herself in an apartment while Kathy lived in one with her newly married husband who was in dental school.  I lived in a house with my husband. two young kids and my mother in law.

When I left my job we still met up till I and my family moved to Pittsburgh.  Laurie actually sent me a cute cartoon wherein one person's hair was colored by her black to represent me.  The caption said something like how many persons are needed to a task in the cartoon.  Laurie and I were in the same group at the company.  She evidently missed me.  

We communicated now and then. One day I got a call from Kathy that Laurie passed away.  She relayed the sad news that she took her life.  Laurie had written me that she was having bouts of anxieties and depression.  She even had gone to a bible school but still unhappy with her religion, work and personal life. She also reduced her work time to ease her situation.

I have not heard from Kathy after that call except for Xmas greetings which contained information about their move to another state and birth of their children.  I have not heard from her for years now.  

The two were memorable part of my life in Kansas City which was a vulnerable challenging time.   I was lucky to have them as friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment