Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Banana Bread (Plant Based)






This plant based banana bread was described as the "world's best banana bread" by the author of the blog My Plant-Based Family.  The first time I baked this, it was so good that half of what I made was taken by my daughter back to her apartment.  She stays with us sometimes on weekends during which she "shops" in my pantry and fridge for food to take back to her place. One bite of it I presume she did while my husband and I were in church and she decided she was entitled to half of it. It is that good and moist.

The recipe I am giving you is a double batch version of the original. The one ingredient I changed in the original recipe was to substitute whole wheat flour and a scant amount of cornstarch for the whole wheat pastry flour which I did not have.  I found an online source which gave the substitute for cake flour which gives a lighter cake than all purpose flour by adding cornstarch to the latter. For every cup of cake flour asked in a recipe, you measure out one cup of all purpose flour, remove one tablespoon of it which you then replace with one tablespoon cornstarch.  I decided to do the same when I substituted whole wheat flour for whole wheat pastry flour.  I just removed one tablespoon from a cup of whole wheat flour and replace it with one tablespoon cornstarch.  I already did the math to how much whole wheat flour and cornstarch you need for the amount of whole wheat pastry flour asked for in this recipe.

The banana bread is spongy and rich in taste. The chocolate chips help mask the whole wheat taste of the batter and add sweetness and the irresistible spunk that only chocolate can add.  You may ask why a double batch. Well  it is so good you might as well make two of them. As in most plant based cakes and bread, I find it better to bake them in a Bundt pan for even cooking of the batter.  When using a loaf pan, you resort to longer baking time since the center is not yet baked resulting in the edges of the cake being over baked and dry.

Plant Based Banana Bread

(Adapted from My Plant-Based Family)
  • 2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 cup sugar or agave extract
  • 6 extra ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 tbsp plant milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a bowl, add the applesauce, sugar, ripe bananas, milk and vanilla extract and thoroughly blend the ingredients with a wooden spoon.   To the mixture add the baking soda, salt, whole wheat flour and cornstarch and mix.  Add the chocolate chips.  

Place the batter in two Bundt pans (note 1) sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  

Notes:

1.  Bundt pan assures more even baking.  A loaf pan takes too long and could result in the edges of the bread being over baked.  

2.  You may add nuts if you like.  




No comments:

Post a Comment