Tuesday, November 24, 2015

One of the Things I Am Grateful For




Created through Quozio.com


This poster looks selfish or full of oneself.  Aren't we supposed to give and not expect anything in return? That was what my attitude was when I started teaching kindergarten CCD (religion).  However, what happened one day in my CCD class was totally unexpected and made me so happy that I decided to make a poster to express my gratitude for being thanked for.

We were covering The Saints in our class and the only two students I have were asked to do the activity on Saint Francis of Assisi.  They were to write a poem or song to praise what God has created.  I suggested that they draw instead since they cannot write yet.  The first child in the class thanked God for Jesus and drew herself with Him.  I find this to be very deep since she could have picked something material.  

I unfortunately did not take a picture of what she drew.  I easily understood what she made since she was articulate and blurted out the description of the drawing.  She is definitely less shy than the other child in the class.   This other child was late in enrolling which explains partly her shyness at this point in the semester. For this activity, she drew three persons in that inimitable childlike way of drawing human figures (shown below).  I thought they were her family members.  




When they were going home I showed the drawing to her mom and told her that her child was grateful for her family.  I was pleasantly surprised the mom corrected my interpretation by saying that her child told her the figures in the drawing represent myself, the child herself and her classmate. I was so stunned and happy. I could not believe it. 


Even though I have some trepidation for putting together the poster shown above, I am sharing with you its message during this thanksgiving week, namely one of the things I am grateful for this year - the gift of being thanked for. Happy Thanksgiving.  Let us celebrate what the poster say.  







No comments:

Post a Comment