Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Slow Cooker Ham with Homemade Barbecue Sauce




This homemade barbecue sauce is not the sweet Kansas City type of sauce but more the vinegar-y type North Carolina is famous for.  The ingredients can be found in your pantry like ketchup and cider vinegar.  

I tasted Isaly chipped ham in a ketchup, vinegar based sauce in our recent Book Club meeting.  It was prepared by Karen Novak, the event organizer.  I did not get the recipe from her so I resorted in googling for a recipe for barbecue sauce using those two ingredients and I found one in this site, the  Allrecipe website. 

I decided to use my slow cooker for convenience and also for the ham to be marinated while being slow cooked.  It was a really good sauce.  It made the ham moist and really flavorful.  It is not the sweet kind that most bottled sauces come in but tangy and with just the right kick and some sweetness.   It is not too tangy either like the sauce I had in North Carolina when I was there.  

My picky taster almost ate the whole thing. I used this for leftover ham I had from the holidays but I could imagine this to be good with pork or brisket.  

Slow Cooker Ham with Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Adapted from this site 

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lb ham, sliced
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water 
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Add all the ingredients in the slow cooker.  Cook at high setting for 3 hours or at low for 6 hours.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand slow cooker/rice cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment