Friday, January 20, 2017

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili





This chili is a high octane one.  Spicier than past chilis I have posted in this blog, here and here. I had pulled pork chili at Luca Restaurant in Pittsburgh and loved it.  I researched for recipes and opted to follow the one on the blog howsweeteats. I had most of the ingredients and some I substituted with what I have.  My procedure is simpler skipping the browning of the pork and a separate slow cooking of it before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.  

As was mentioned in howsweeteats, it is better the next day and the next.  It is true.  It was not love at first sight or taste for me but when I tasted this chili three days later, I could not help myself wanting more and even craving it at some other times of the day.  I had it with rice, green onions and avocado slices on top but you can use the usual garnishes.  I also used chipotle from a can rather than the powder chipotle. I also added bottled jalapenos. I love my food spicy. 

You will love this.  Give it a try.  Let it sit for a day or two.  Hope you can wait.


Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili



  • 3 lb pork butt or shoulder or loin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 8 ounces of beer
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1-28-oz can tomato sauce or puree
  • 1- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1-14oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1-14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4 tbsp tomato paste
  • 4 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 piece chipotle from a can, chopped
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 tbsp chopped jalapeno slices from a bottle

Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker.  Cook for 6 hours on high or 12 hours on low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 4 hours at slow cooker setting.  At the end of the cooking time, take out the pork and shred with two forks or chop them to fine pieces.  Place them back to the slow cooker and heat further at keep warm setting like in my slow cooker or other slow cookers. Otherwise cook further for half an hour.

I topped my chili with rice, green onions and avocado.  Other garnishes you can use are cilantro, corn chips, cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment