Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Best Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes


This is the best blueberry buttermilk pancakes I have ever eaten. I am giving this honor of being called the best to this recipe since it is the truth and the whole truth. I made this because I prepared another pancake recipe which my husband, the pancake fanatic, did not approve of favorably. I then remembered about this particular one from a cookbook (shown below) which a group of Associates of the Sisters of St Joseph of Baden put together way back in 2008. The cookbook featured a collection of beloved recipes by members and the proceeds went to the Platform Children of India and Lydia's Place of Pittsburgh.




I have not made this for quite awhile relying on the boxed mix or the use of biscuit mix. They were good but this tops them all.  It is fluffy and moist and worth the wee bit more effort of measuring the dry ingredients. Come to think of it I can prepare and store multiple recipes of the dry ingredients in a big jar and use single ones for future use. The blueberries added additional moistness and some tang to the taste.  This can also be prepared without the berries.

Savoring these pancakes not only brought back the memories of making them for my family then but also the fun my friends had preparing the cookbook this came from.  I submitted the recipe but did not write the source.  I do am glad I kept it in a safe place, our cookbook, a labor of love by committee members Kathy, Linda B, Linda R, Carol, Patty, Lorraine and Judy K.




The Best Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter, plus more for frying
  • 1 - 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
In a large bowl blend well or sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  

In another smaller bowl, beat the eggs with the buttermilk, and melted butter.  

Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix into a lumpy batter, being careful not to over mix. (Over mixed batter will result in flat, heavy pancakes).

Heat some butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Spoon 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet and sprinkle the top with some of the blueberries.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.  Always add butter to the skillet for every batch of pancakes.

Serve with your favorite syrup and with a dollop of whipped cream if you desire to. 

Note:  This recipe is also good without the blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment