Sunday, January 8, 2017

Sweet Potato Bacon



Let us face it, life is not complete without the taste of bacon.  I said taste of bacon and not bacon.  Or else I will be slowly dying since I really want to practice plant based eating. I am sharing this recipe because I do not want your life to be incomplete especially if you are plant based.  I came up with how to cure my bacon craving with this recipe of sweet potato bacon.  I refrained from adding brown sugar and relied on four ingredients other than the potatoes.  So good.  It fulfilled my bacon fix or any cured meat cravings for that matter.

I am presenting two ways of cooking.  I prefer the oven version since you tend to use more oil with the skillet version.  The latter way gives a better grilled taste especially if using a good heavy iron skillet.

Sweet Potato Bacon

  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 3-4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into strips
Oven Version

Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Line a pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set it aside.

In small bowl place the coconut oil and heat for 10 seconds to melt it. 

Add the lemon juice, soy sauce and garlic powder to the melted oil.

Place the sweet potato slices in the pan and brush them with the oil mixture on both sides.

Bake for 15 -20 minutes.

Skillet Version

Add the oil in a skillet and heat at medium heat.  Add the sweet potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook the sweet potatoes till brown. You might need to add more oil.  

No comments:

Post a Comment