Saturday, September 22, 2018

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Baby Back Ribs





One of my favorite programs on TV these days is Cheap Eats on the Cooking Channel. I pick up ideas of what to prepare for dinner from any dish I drooled over when I watch it. One such craveable dish is the beef short ribs prepared by a chef of Filipino descent from the Hometown Hawaiian Restaurant in California. 

I developed this recipe from the ingredients that the chef added to the marinade. The ribs were grilled on the stove after being marinated. I decided to skip those steps and use the slow cooker method. I more or less estimated the amounts of the ingredients since they were not provided. Here is the delectable easy slow cooker version using pork baby back ribs instead of the beef short ribs.

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Baby Back Ribs


  • 3-5 lbs pork baby back ribs, whole slab or cut into pieces
  • 1\2 cup water
  • 1\2 cup sugar or stevia
  • 1\2 cup soy sauce
  • 1\4 cup sambal sauce 
  • 1\4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce or more Stevia to taste
  • 1\8 to 1\4 dry chili flakes
  • 2 tbsp minced ginger
  • 1\2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch in 4 tbsp water
Add all the ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for four hours or eight hours at low setting. I cooked mine in a Crock Pot brand slow cooker casserole for four hours at high setting.

Garnish with green onions and cilantro.

Serve  with rice and what the restaurant calls the Mac  Salad or macaroni salad.













No comments:

Post a Comment