Monday, September 3, 2018

Easy Vegan Ketogenic Gluten Free Asian Slaw






I served this slaw at the labor day picnic at Matt and Wendy's place today and everybody liked it. The simple, straight forward quality of the dressing made it a crowd pleaser. This is a salad that is easy to prepare and yet packed with an Asian appealing flavor. It is a keeper for picnics especially with people with varied needs.

My son in law, Matt, is into the ketogenic diet while I follow the vegan lifestyle. I adapted the recipe from this site to satisfy both of our dietary needs.  I further simplified the original recipe and deleted ginger root in the dressing and chili in the salad. I also made the cilantro leaves an optional garnish since I was serving this to some members of Matt's family with an aversion for spices.

To make the dressing ketogenic, I used stevia instead of maple syrup and was I impressed with the result. The bitter taste associated with this non glycosidic plant derived sweetener was not at all present in the overall taste of the slaw. It gave what would have been an otherwise tart dressing the sweetness associated with most Asian slaws.

I skipped the addition of Ramen noodles customarily done with some Asian slaw recipe to make it gluten free. Neither did I use the flavor packet that comes with this noodle soup packet. Nuts were also not added to make it suitable for those with nut allergy.

Despite being a minimalistic recipe, this is packed with addictive flavor. You will love it.



Easy Vegan Ketogenic Gluten Free Asian Slaw

Salad

  • 1\2 head of green cabbage, cored and shredded
  • 1 cup baby carrots, shredded
  • 4 -6 napa cabbage leaves, shredded
  • 6 stalks green onions, sliced thinly

Dressing

  • 1 1\2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 1\2 tbsp soy sauce
  • Stevia to taste
  • Juice of 1 lime

Optional garnish

  • 1 tbsp white Sesame seeds
  • Bunch of cilantro leaves

Place the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl.  Whisk the ingredients of the dressing in another bowl and add the mixture to the salad ingredients. Toss or mix with your hand. Garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro leaves if you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment