Sunday, July 15, 2018

Slow Cooker Creamy Tilapia Fillets




I was in Chicago as a house guest of Lita Tangonan, a former high school classmate from St. James Academy, Malabon, Philippines. She pampered me and Lulu Yambao, another former classmate who was also visiting, with her fabulous cooking during our stay at her humongous beautiful house. She served us kare kare, lumpiang Shanghai and baked salmon the night of our arrival. The latter dish haunted me when I came home to Pittsburgh, I just had to prepare it.

This recipe for the tilapia is similar to how she described the preparation of the salmon dish. I used tilapia instead of salmon and decided to use the slow cooker method instead of the oven. I love the result. The fish was creamy and flavorful. The recipe calls for five ingredients only. So convenient.

Now I also know I can cook fish in the slow cooker. A plus especially during summer when you do not want the oven to heat up your house.

Below are pictures of the tours we took in Chicago. Thanks Lita for your hospitality and being a gracious and generous host. I had a great time with you and Lulu.

My favorite view from Lita's kitchen, her gorgeous
pergola.



Lulu, Lita and me.


Slow Cooker Creamy Tilapia Fillets

  • 2 lb tilapia fillets
  • 1\2 cup mayonnaise
  • Juice of 1\2 lemon
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • Chopped green onions and tomatoes for garnish (optional)

Mix the mayonnaise , lemon juice, garlic and soy sauce in a small bowl.

Cut a piece of aluminum foil about twice the length of your slow cooker and fold it. Place the tilapia fillets on the half side of the foil. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on top of the fillets. Fold over the other half and crimp the sides of the foil. Place in the slow cooker.

Cook on low setting for 2 hours. I used the Crock Pot brand casserole slow cooker.

Garnish with chopped green onions and tomatoes on top of cooked fillets of you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment