Sunday, July 8, 2018

Vegan Okra and Tomato Masala




I had two bags of frozen cut okra in the freezer begging to be used. I did not feel like using it for a gumbo which I intended to do when I bought it and opted instead to satisfy my craving for something with Indian flavor.



I mimicked the spices found in prepared garam masala which you can buy at the grocery store but at a price. I find adding the list of ingredients in bottled garam masala myself cheaper and better since I can adjust the heat and salt content. You can skip the coconut milk if you prefer and it will still be  good. Note no oil was used and neither any dairy in this healthy but delicious vegan recipe. It is so good you would want to eat the whole thing. I almost did!

Vegan Okra and Tomato Masala

  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 inch ginger, minced
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 9 oz frozen cut okra or fresh ones, cut and stem removed
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp cardamom
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)

Add the vegetable broth, onion, garlic and ginger in a skillet and allow the broth to boil till the vegetables are cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients except the coconut milk if using and continue to heat the mixture till the okra is cooked. You might need to add more broth. Then add the coconut milk if using and heat gently till the coconut milk is heated through and blended in it the spices.


1 comment: