Thursday, January 12, 2023

Air Fryer Crispy Tofu Poke Bowl

 


  










During our last visit to New York City months ago, we stayed at a hotel near a poke bowl place where I was able to savor their salmon poke bowl and it was good.  The drizzle on top was particularly memorable.  

I decided to mimic this bowl using whole food plant based ingredients.  I used crispy tofu for the salmon.  I did not try to make it fish like by adding nori or dulse flakes in order to simplify the preparation.  I just wanted well seasoned and good textured tofu pieces not naked ones. Voila the recipe I found in YouTube fitted the bill.  

The crispy tofu is a dish in itself  But I had a craving for a poke bowl with the characteristic drizzle, the rice and veggies  and so I prepared this and I was very happy. Made my day.



Air Fryer Crispy Tofu Poke Bowl



Poke Bowl


Crispy Tofu 
Rice cooked according to package 
Sauce or Drizzle 
Vegetables of your choice (I used spring mix, carrots, cucumbers and radishes as is or pickled in water, vinegar and sugar)


Crispy Tofu


Adapted from this Youtube video 


16 oz firm tofu, pressed and drained 

1tbsp garlic powder 

1 tbsp onion powder 

1 tsp smoked paprika 

3 tbsp soy sauce

3 tbsp water 

cornstarch


Cut the tofu in thirds and then into another thirds or whatever size you prefer.  

Place all the ingredients except cornstarch in a ziplock bag  Marinate for 15 minutes  or so. 

Take out the seasoned tofu from the bag and place in a bowl.  Sprinkle the tofu with cornstarch till well covered.

Lay the tofu out in the air fryer pan.   Spray sides of tofu with cooking spray. 

Air fry 375 F for 20 minutes  Flip halfway and spray top  


Sauce or Drizzle 


1/4 cup soy sauce 

1 tsp rice wine vinegar 

1 tsp sriracha 

1 tsp sweetener 


Mix all the ingredients with a fork.  You can double the recipe  


Assembly for one bowl



Put 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice in the middle or on one side of the bowl and top with two pieces of crispy tofu. Surround with vegetables of your choice. Drizzle the top with the sauce. 




No comments:

Post a Comment