Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Arancini (Rice Balls) from Slow Cooker Chicken Mushroom Rice Casserole




I love Olive Garden and I have actually kept on comparing what I ate while I was Italy against those I had at this chain establishment to the shock of some people in my tour group.  I eagerly ate Arancini or Italian Rice Balls at Olive Garden when my husband and I were there many months ago and was disappointed.  I wanted this appetizer to be more flavorful.  I happened to have leftovers of the Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Rice Casserole the recipe of which I have posted in this blog. I decided to use these to make my version of Arancini.  

It turned out to be tastier than those I had at Olive Garden.  The casserole itself is pretty moist and flavorful due to the chicken, mushroom and cheese already in it.  Thus its deliciousness carried over into the rice balls. My picky taster, my husband Bob, loved them.  This means you would too.  

One could consider this one of my two meals in one slow cooker dishes.  You can eat the casserole one day and make the rice balls some other day of the week.

Here is how I did it.

Arancini (Rice Balls) from Slow Cooker Chicken Mushroom Rice Casserole

Yielded 11 balls
  • 1 cup leftover Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Rice Casserole
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 cup spinach, cooked in the microwave and drained
  • 2 mozzarella sticks, cut into 1/3 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup more bread crumbs for coating the balls
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix the leftover casserole, egg, cheese, 1/4 cup bread crumbs and spinach in a bowl.  Shape into balls and insert a piece of the mozzarella piece in the middle of the balls.  Roll the balls in 1/2 cup bread crumbs.   

Place the balls in a sprayed pan and bake for 30 minutes.  

Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.  

No comments:

Post a Comment