Saturday, December 19, 2015

Slow Cooker Plant Based Jambalaya




I had two excellent Jambalayas in the past few months.  When we were in Philadelphia for the Pope Francis's visit Milyssa, Angie and I went to eat lunch at the Market.  They had Philly sandwiches while I decided to have Alligator Jambalaya.  It was delicious!  But I still postponed making one until I had Jambalaya again at the PAASE organization Xmas party at my friend Seville's place in Bethesda MD.  It was brought by Joseph and Lily Tan who originally were bringing Pancit or Filipino noodle dish but opted out of it when two other families were bringing this Filipino dish to the potluck dinner.  Lily had chicken, andouille sausage, shrimps, carrots, peppers, celery and tomato in her version of Jambalaya.  She served it on top of rice.  

Yesterday was a cold day here in Pittsburgh and I needed something comforting and warm. Jambalaya came to my mind. I had Artisan Tofurky Cajun Style Andouille in the freezer begging to be used for a dish like Jambalaya.  I used the recipe in the wonderful blogsite VegKitchen as an inspiration.  I decided to make it in the slow cooker and have the brown rice on the side rather than be incorporated in the dish itself.  

                                      

The Tofurky sausage really made this plant based dish like the real thing.  With the vegetables and spices, the sausage gave it the heat, flavor and robustness.  Here is the easy and delicious recipe.




Slow Cooker Plant Based Jambalaya

(Adapted from wonderful blogsite VegKitchen)
  • 1- 3.5 oz Tofurky Cajun Style Andouille Sausage, sliced into bite sized pieces                   
  • 1 -14.5 oz roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 celery stalks, sliced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1 red or green or yellow pepper, diced
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp dry basil
  • 1 tsp dry oregano
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • red pepper flakes
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
Place all the ingredients except the cooked brown rice in a slow cooker.  Cook for 3 hours at high or 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.  Serve over the brown rice.  





No comments:

Post a Comment