Thursday, December 31, 2015

Slow Cooker Oxtail Braised in Red Wine


During our Alaskan Cruise this past summer. one of the dishes that I loved was the oxtail and beef short ribs braised in red wine that was served during lunch in the cafeteria buffet prepared by the Celebrity cruise line chefs.  I wanted to duplicate what I tasted and used this Internet source as an inspiration.  I used less wine and skipped several steps listed in this source including the browning of the oxtail, sauteing of the vegetables and the reducing of the volume of the wine.  Instead I just placed all the ingredients given in the adapted recipe below in the slow cooker.  Despite skipping most of the steps in the original recipe this version, Slow Cooker Oxtail Braised in Red Wine, got the thumbs up from my picky taster, my husband Bob.

It was suggested to prepare and refrigerate the dish the day before you will serve it in order for you to easily remove the fat.  I could not wait to do this and just skimmed off as much of the fat while it was still hot using a spoon.   Here is the recipe of this decadent dish. It was so delicious I got off my plant based approach to eating.  One bite to taste led to more and more. Tsk, tsk.  Not to worry I am going back to my healthy eating tomorrow.  Promise.


Slow Cooker Oxtail Braised in Red Wine

(Adapted from this Internet source)


  • 3 lbs beef oxtail
  • 2 cups carrots (I used baby carrots)
  • 4 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into slices with 1/2 inch thickness
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup green onions, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 bottle (around 300 ml) red wine
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp black peppercorn
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and black pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker bowl.  Slow cook for 4 hours at high setting or 8 hours at low.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 3 hours at slow cooker setting.  Serve with rice, crusty bread and simple salad greens.





No comments:

Post a Comment