Friday, December 4, 2015

"Have the Courage To Be Truly Happy"



I went to Philadelphia to witness and feel the happiness that I saw on the people's faces in the crowd as they cheered the Pope when he visited Washington DC and New York.  I was watching TV on the days Pope Francis was visiting these two latter cities.  I was struck by what the announcer said as she described the crowd, "There are indeed many people here and they are all happy".

I knew I would not be able to get to be near him not even as close as a few feet away since I was anticipating a thick crowd.  Still I made a last minute decision to go on that Friday.   The day before, on Thursday, I got the email from my friend Milyssa that she was driving to Philadelphia by herself.  She had arranged everything from the rent a car to the hotel reservations.  She was just emailing me to inform me of her plans.  She did not beg me to go or anything which she usually did.  I woke up early Friday morning to realize I could go with her.  I just woke with the "why don't I go" idea that just popped in my brain out of nowhere that early morning.

I got up at 3 am Saturday, and met Milyssa and her Mom, Angie, at the Scranton turnpike exit parking lot.  I offered to drive my SUV all the way to Philly.

It was not that easy navigating from our hotel in New Jersey to Philly and while there to get where the parade would be.  There were barriers and security checks. When we got to where the parade would be, there was nowhere to sit.  So we stood for hours, not one but several hours.

There was something reverent as we went through the lines and stood endlessly.  I saw many groups of people that the Pope inclusively and outspokenly expressed his acceptance of their being children of God.  A God who loves them like everybody else unconditionally.  I did not see any shame in their faces or attempt to hide.  I saw that joy and great self esteem that were reflected in the glow that they exuded that came from being embraced in their uniqueness.

Did I get to see him close?  Not at all.  I saw his pope mobile passed by from 3 yards away and so so fast. I saw his image on the screens spread out in the area.  I heard him speak during the stop at Independence Hall Saturday and during the Mass on Sunday via the screen.  Being in that Mass was memorable.  You could hear a pin drop as the Mass started.  Every person with us were in awe of the occasion.

A show of devotion and ardor from different groups were shown on both Saturday and Sunday including those from protest groups as the pictures below show.

People of ages from babies to senior folks were represented in the crowd.  The happiness that the Pope invited everybody in the poster above to have the courage to experience was palpable as I looked at the sea of faces in the crowd.  I particularly will always remember a young voice in the crowd waiting to see Pope Francis say, "I have never been so happy in my life" as she patiently waited to catch a glimpse of him.

All of us felt that happiness which is hard to describe but it was there in our hearts. We courageously sought it and found it that day and gives us hope that we will also do in the future.  This Philadelphia experience and its memory will help us somehow believe in that.

Here are some pictures.





















No comments:

Post a Comment