Saturday, December 12, 2015

Busting the "Buts" and "What Ifs" in Decision Making




I am complicated person. I overthink everything. I am a worry wart too. I personify all these especially when I make a decision. 

The "buts" creep up especially when I am asked to do something.  I think of all the shortcomings I have that make me think I am no fit for the task or position.  A previous blog explored how I busted my self doubts.  I just tell myself "Why not me?". Saying these three words actually works.

Once I overcome the "buts" often times the "what ifs" follow and sometimes they make me procastinate in carrying any goal or decision I have made.  I imagine every worst case scenarios.  

I recently saw the movie The Millers and one scene showed the pretend Dad (it is a long story why he is a pretend one) advising his pretend son how to kiss his girl friend. The son was terrified he would not do it well.  The pretend Dad told him to just count to ten then just do it. He told his pretend son he is overthinking it. 

So that is my solution to bust the "what ifs". Count to ten and wait for any calamity to befall you.  If you are still alive the law of probability is on your side. Just go with your decision which you have thought of and fought its accompanying "buts" and just do it.  You are just overthinking your move.



No comments:

Post a Comment