Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Mixed Vegetable Fritters





I always wanted some kind of portable veggie bites to take with me when I have a back to back schedule in the morning and I need to eat lunch in between errands.  I found that need fulfilled by these delicious fritters, especially if they are baked since they are easier to handle and not that greasy.  The fried ones are of course more moist and has that added flavor from the coconut oil I used.

I obtained the recipe from the registration table during the International Women's Club meeting I attended this month.  The dish was called Mixed Vegetable Fritters and the author was Medhu Doshi.  Since I was late, the breakfast buffet table was almost empty and I am not sure if this dish was served that day.  I liked the list of ingredients featuring lots of vegetables and decided to try it.  I made modifications with the recipe based on what ingredients I had.  I also experimented with baking a batch of the fritters versus frying them.  I actually liked them prepared both ways. The fried ones were pillowy and moist but the baked ones, as expected was not oily and easier to handle when eaten by hand.

I would like to point out that the rice flour was an excellent binder.  It made the fritters moist and flavorful. You do not need eggs.  I highly recommend its use. The recipe also called for chickpea flour which I did not have and used instead all purpose flour. Instead of coriander in the original recipe, I used green onions.

I love these fritters and will be my go to food on the run.  It is delicious and healthy too! They could be one of your holiday appetizers.

Mixed Vegetable Fritters


  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1/4 head of cabbage
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 2 inch daikon radish, peeled (you can substitute plain radish)
  • 1 cup spinach, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup rice flour (I used Mochiko brand sweet rice flour)
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp salt or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup water or more

If baking:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray a 13 x 9 cookie pan with cooking spray and set aside.

Place the 4 first ingredients in the Vita Mix blender or high power blender or food processor in the sequence given or you can chop them by hand.  

Transfer the chopped vegetables into a medium bowl and add the spinach, green onions, rice flour, all purpose flour, turmeric, chili powder, salt and pepper.  Mix well. Add the water slowly to the mixture till it has the consistency of mashed potatoes.  You might need to add more water.

Take two tablespoon of the mixture and form into patties.  

If baking:

Place the patties in the sprayed pan and spray  the patties with cooking spray and bake for 30-35 minutes till brown. Flip halfway during the baking process.

If frying:

Heat 4 tablespoon coconut oil or other oil in a saute pan and shallow fry the patties till the fritters are slightly brown. Flip when one side is browned.
You can also deep fry in a 350 degree fryer.

Eat with catsup with or without Sriracha.



No comments:

Post a Comment