Friday, November 4, 2016

Slow Cooker Steak Sauce Pork Loin




One possible reason why I like cooking is because it is like being in a lab. Except I am doing my experiments in the kitchen not a laboratory. Plus I get to eat what I make.

There is always that element of anticipation involved in both cases. How things would turn out is always in my mind everytime I did experiments in the lab or trying a new recipe in my kitchen.

I tried this recipe I found in Food Whirl because I wanted to try something new with the slabs of pork I have in the freezer. The author of the recipe mentioned the method at great lengths, mainly slow cooking in the oven overnight at low heat and then basting with a list of ingredients later at higher temperature. No exact amounts of the ingredients were given, however. So this was my challenge. My experiment.

I thought of my slow cooker as the alternative method of cooking. The slow cooking and marinating could be done at the same time.  No fear of drying up the meat is present in this approach.

The author called for the use of butter in the basting material. I instead thickened the resulting broth with cornstarch at the end of cooking which I smothered on the tender juicy meat. It worked.

This dish got two thumbs up from two picky tasters, my husband and son in law. It is salty and spicy. Just like most guys like it.

The proportions of the amounts of ingredients gave the dish its saltiness and just the right kick. This an easy go to meal anytime, any place except the science lab where supposedly no eating is allowed.

Slow Cooker Steak Sauce Pork Loin

  • 3 lbs pork loin or butt
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup steak sauce
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp hot sauce or to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp cornstarch in 3 tbsp water (optional)

Place all the ingredients except the corn starch mixture in the slow cooker. Cook for four hours at high setting or eight hours at low. I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for three hours at slow cooker setting.

At the last few minutes of cooking, remove the pork and add the cornstarch in water mixture and allow to cook with stirring till you form a thick gravy. Spread over the pork.  You can also skip this last step and serve the thin broth with the pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment