Monday, November 7, 2016

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken





Orange chicken is one of the dishes that I choose when I visit the Chinese stand at our mall or any place I stop by to get my sweet and sour fix. To prepare this dish I relied partly on the recipe found on this wonderful website and the recipe I have used in the past in preparing a vegan version from this my own website where I utilized tofu instead of chicken.

Using the hybrid of both recipes resulted in an orange chicken that was pretty close to what I usually have at Panda Express for example in the past.  This is an easy recipe to go to on a day you just want something Chinese but do not feel like driving to the mall or have delivery made from your favorite take out place. It is a slow cooker recipe but it can also be cooked in the stove top.

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

Adapted from this website and  the vegan version from this my own website.

For the sauce
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup orange marmalade
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp minced ginger
  • 1/2 cup apple cider or rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup catsup
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
For the chicken
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into large cubes
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbsp olive or coconut oil

Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

Beat the eggs and cornstarch together.  Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Add the egg and cornstarch mixture to the chicken pieces to coat them.  In a saute pan heat the oil at medium heat and brown the coated chicken pieces.

Add the browned chicken pieces in the slow cooker bowl and then add to them the sauce mixture.  Mix so that the chicken pieces are coated with the sauce.

Slow cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.

Garnish with green onions and serve over rice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment