Saturday, November 5, 2016

Caramel Coconut Cream Pull Apart Biscuits and Is Coconut Milk Good for You



It is a Saturday morning and I want to prepare some goodies for my husband to accompany his breakfast.  He loved the monkey bread I prepared several weeks ago using the Pillsbury biscuit recipe online.  I wanted something healthier without butter as much as possible.  I happened to eye this Caramel Pull Apart Biscuits recipe on the sidebar of the Monkey Bread recipe on the Pillsbury website and clicked on it.  Wow! Was I surprise.  Just what I wanted.  No butter is needed but instead heavy cream.  Still not my idea of a healthier alternative to butter.  I then thought of coconut milk which I had. Coconut milk has 17-24 % coconut fat.  It is reported in this publication that this fat is healthier having the so called middle length chain saturated fatty acid which undergoes a different metabolic pathway than the long chain counterparts found in animal fat and also plant oils.  It is directly converted to energy and not stored as fat. On this subject of whether coconut oil is good for you etc read this and this for other opinions on this controversial topic.  
The recipe called for two 12 oz can of refrigerated biscuits.  I instead opted to use one can of biscuits and half the recipe of the rest of the ingredients. I substituted coconut milk instead of the heavy cream in the recipe.  I also used coconut palm brown sugar instead of plain brown sugar but that is an optional choice for you.  I used the usual length of time of thirty minutes to bake the Pull Apart Biscuits.  It was delicious and better for you in moderation of course.  I do not detect a strong coconut taste that some of your family members might not be a fan of.  

Caramel Coconut Cream Pull Apart Biscuits

(Inspired by this recipe)
  • 1- 12-16 oz can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (the generic one I used was 16 oz)
  • 1/2 packed brown sugar (I used coconut palm brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk (preferably the cream on upper part of unshaken or refrigerated can)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.

2.  Separate the biscuit dough into 8-10 biscuits it came in.  Cut each biscuit into fourths.  Layer them in the pan.

3.  Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the biscuits.

4.  Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Immediately turn pan upside down onto a glass or heatproof plate.  Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment