Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Vegan Coffee Chocolate Dip or Frosting from Sweet Potatoes






I had something similar that was used to frost a sheet of vegan brownies during our plant based support group meeting prepared by a member, Linda.  I could not tell that the main ingredient of the frosting was sweet potatoes.  Actually a can of pureed sweet potatoes was used and vegan milk chocolate chips.

I adapted the same approach but instead used sweet potatoes I cooked in the microwave instead of the canned ones.  Instead of the vegan chocolate chips which I did not have any, I used non dairy milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup to come up to the taste that the chocolate chips would have given.  I added coffee granules because I love the taste of coffee and chocolate together.

This is an easy healthy frosting or dip or spread and your family or friends would never guess that the sweet potatoes serve as the base for it.  I have made similar dips before using bananas (here and here) which also works but the sweet potatoes has a neutral taste which does not distract from the taste of the chocolate and coffee.

Vegan Coffee Chocolate Dip or Frosting from Sweet Potatoes

  • 1/2 cup non dairy milk
  • 4 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp instant coffee granules
  • 4 to 6 tbsp maple syrup (or according to your taste)
  • 2 cooked sweet potatoes, peeled and mashed
Mix first four ingredients in a blender till well mixed.  Add the sweet potatoes and blend till the mixture is smooth.

Serve as a dip with fresh apple or banana slices.  Use a frosting on a cake.  It can be a spread on your toast or bagels or waffles.  Or eat it as is with spoon.  Yum.  

No comments:

Post a Comment