Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Slow Cooker Barbecue Mango Chicken Thighs


I do like the convenience of having barbecue sauce and a canned or bottled fruit handy in the pantry to prepare any dish including this easy and delicious chicken dish.  I have used these ingredients, barbecue sauce and canned cranberries, in combination in the preparation of meatballs in this blog and I also saw in the web a recipe using barbecue sauce and apricot preserves for chicken wings.  I wanted to try using canned mango pulp I have had in my pantry shelf for ages instead. It actually worked.  My picky taster, my husband, loved it and so did I.



I cooked the dish in the slow cooker which did a good job in coming up with succulent chicken pieces coated with the smoky, sweet sauce. Try this easy dish.

Slow Cooker Barbecue Mango Chicken Thighs

  • 1 cup barbecue sauce, store bought
  • 1 cup mango pulp from the Asian store (see note)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tbsp chopped bottled jalapeno pieces
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2.5 lbs bone in chicken thighs
  • cilantro for garnish (optional)
Place all the ingredients except the chicken and cilantro in the slow cooker and mix.  Place chicken pieces on top and coat with sauce. Cook at high for three hours or at low for six hours.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours.  Garnish with cilantro if you wish. Serve over rice, plenty of it.  The sauce is irresistible.

Note:

Though I have not tried it, fresh mangoes would probably work. Just add honey or maple syrup or brown sugar to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment