Monday, March 9, 2020

My Friend Merly



I was in disbelief to read in her sister's Lily's Facebook post that my friend Merly died yesterday afternoon .  I felt very sad and flashes of our times together in Washington DC swept through my memory. Her sweet face graced every scene as well as her calm pragmatic demeanor. 



Merly and her sister lived in the apartment below mine at 2124 I Street Washington DC.  I stayed in that apartment building during most of my years at Washington DC finishing my MS in Chemistry degree at the George Washington University. I was a frequent visitor at their place and what immediately appeared in my mind is her sweeping the floor with a tambo, a type of broom from the Philippines in one of my visits.  I remember her saying to me as she followed me around with the tambo that she would not mind spending her life following me around tidying after me.  I did not mind the comment or care what it meant or its connotation.  I trusted her that she did not mean anything I should be insulted about. I felt a certain fondness for me in her voice.



I am writing this as I woke up after reading the post to make sense of how short life is. I was overwhelmed by the loss and the memories of that time in my life where Merly and  her sister Lily were parts of.  Nostalgia gripped me.  Remembering the memories was tinged with sadness and a sinking feeling in the heart and stomach.  At the same time a sense of gratefulness engulfed me realizing how lucky I was to have Merly and Lily for making those times spent at 2124 I Street beautiful and filled with happy fun times, Thank you Merly and rest in peace.  I do not think you need to sweep or tidy up after anybody up there in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment