Wednesday, June 24, 2020

My Heroes


When the lockdown was enforced, I slept quite a bit the first week. When I recalled what the week was before it, I realized I had a hectic one. That past weekend, I was supposed to teach my third grade CCD class in which I would have had a seminarian as guest speaker for fifteen minutes then I would conduct activities covering the topic of the day.  Right after that class, I was to teach the children’s liturgy for kids 3-8 years old during Mass in the church basement.  These two did not materialize since the school was closed including CCD.  But I did two preparations that took me days to think and prepare for.   One more factor for my fatigue was the driving to my various exercise classes. No wonder I was more tired than bored that first week. 

 I was not as scared either or panicky as my daughter was who visited me during the first week bringing with her disinfecting wipes and tales of empty shelves in the grocery stores of toilet paper and cleaning products.  I stayed home glued to the TV watching news after news and talk shows dwelling on the grim picture of the pandemic in some states. The seriousness of the coronavirus situation was slowly sinking in.

I had a well stock pantry of canned foods and luckily also paper products including the sought after toilet paper before the lockdown started.  But we needed fresh bananas, a must have for my husband's breakfast every day.  I decided to take a trip to Aldi's.  I was well prepared with a mask and a plastic bag with just my credit card and driver's license.  The less I carried the better.  I would have less to disinfect.  The Clorox wipes were in my car to disinfect my hands after.

I put on my mask as I walk towards the entrance  of Aldi's.  As I was walking, I was overwhelmed with pride seeing everyone wearing masks as they entered the store, My heart swelled with both joy and hope and I cried.  In my eyes, they were heroes.  Not to the same degree as the health workers, but  I was witnessing unselfishness and service. I am pretty sure they found the masks uncomfortable but they wore them anyway not only for themselves but for others. I saw a united effort by these soldiers quietly fighting an invisible but deadly enemy, the virus. 

Many conflicting opinions as to the effectiveness of the masks have been spread especially by those who are into invoking conspiracies but I will not go over that.  I just want to pay homage in this blogpost to my heroes,  all of you,  who continue to wear the mask uncomfortable it may be.  Thank you.

Below are the lovely masks made by my sister Menchie.











No comments:

Post a Comment