Thursday, January 21, 2016

Easy Slow Cooker Smoky Gooey Carrots





Let me warn you.  These carrots are addictive.  I have eaten it as is when I wanted something savory to snack on and also between bread to act as my smoky "meat" filling.  (I am on a plant based approach to eating).  I will be featuring a soup using these carrots instead of ham in a plant based corn ham chowder dish which I will post in the future.  It can also be a very welcome side dish for your next dinner menu.

The smoked paprika imparts that delectable smokiness to the carrots while the combination of brown sugar and molasses lends the dish its sweetness.   The addition of the balsamic vinegar helps gives the carrots that tangy flavor that excites your tongue just a tad.  So good.

I keep leftovers in a container which I conveniently go to for my healthy fix.  Better than the barbecue potato chips and healthier too.  It is also easy to prepare using a slow cooker.  You have an alternative option of baking or roasting the carrots minus the water and cornstarch in the ingredients (see note).  I love this!


Easy Slow Cooker Smoky Gooey Carrots 

(Adapted from this site)
  • 1/2 lb carrots, cut (I used baby carrots)
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar (I used coconut brown sugar)
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp molasses
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp mirin
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper or to taste
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
Mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the carrots in the slow cooker bowl and use a fork or whisk to blend them. Add the carrots to the bowl and coat with the paprika mixture.  Slow cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker at slow cooker setting for 2 hours.  

Note:

I have also roasted these carrots minus the water and cornstarch in an oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the cut carrots.




No comments:

Post a Comment