Friday, January 8, 2016

Mock Lobster Roll


Two shows on the Food Channel make me run to my kitchen and prepare what I see even early in the morning.  The dishes are so enticing I just have to have them.  One of the dishes I saw recently on Unique Eats or Good Food America (not sure which one now) was Maine Lobster Roll.  I happened to be on the Plant Based Approach to Eating but that made the kitchen preparation more fun because of the challenge.

I have seen recipes online using tofu for everything under the sun so why not for this.  Two things are important in a dish:  taste and texture.  I happened to have a go to recipe for chicken or tuna salad that I love.  I was confident it would work for this Mock Lobster Roll.  I conceived that the tofu would provide the texture (not to mention the protein also) that our mouth savors as we eat lobster or shrimp or chicken.  The softness of the tofu would mimic the tenderness of the lobster as I bite on the sandwich.  Even though it will not have the taste of the ocean as in the lobster, the texture it provides is enough for me as long as my dressing with its spices and vegetables will be fabulous enough to envelop the tofu to make me forget the fact that it is not the real thing.

This recipe did not fail me.  I had it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks these past two days.  It is that good.  The ingredients are in your pantry and the preparation is simple and easy.

This picture does not show the cumin.

Mock Lobster Roll

  • 4 tbsp cubed soft tofu (previously drain the tofu block between paper towels before cubing)
  • 3 tbsp pickle relish
  • 1-2 tbsp chopped onion 
  • 1-2 stalks celery, cut in small sizes (you can use less celery but I like a lot of fiber)
  • 1/4 tsp bay seasoning
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • 4 tbsp vegan mayo
  • French Baguette cut into roll size or sausage rolls
Mix all the ingredients except the baguette.  Place the prepared salad over toasted baguette rolls .  Garnish with tomatoes and dill pickles.  Caution:  this is addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment