Saturday, January 30, 2016

Slow Cooker Mushroom Potato Bisque in Coconut Milk




I could never forget the Magnificent Mushroom Soup submitted by Karen Novak during the 2014 Souper Bowl Contest conducted by McGinnis Sisters Store in Monroeville, PA.  I remember it to be thick, delicious and rich tasting.  I decided to make a plant based version of the recipe.  I substituted coconut milk, full fat, for the half and half called for in Karen's recipe.  I also used fresh potato instead of the cream of potato soup listed in Karen's recipe.  I am very satisfied with the result.  It is pretty close to what I tasted of the Magnificent Mushroom Soup two years ago. It is just as haunting in its deliciousness and richness.  

I also used a slow cooker though this soup can be cooked in the stove top easily.  I wanted this to be one of my fix it and forget it soup recipes. The ingredients can be found readily in the supermarket or might even be already in your pantry and fridge.  One thing more it is elegant enough to serve at any gathering.   Don't forget the word "bisque" in the title of the recipe.  It is enough to impress your guests.  Ha, ha, ha.  


Slow Cooker Mushroom Potato Bisque in Coconut Milk

(Adapted from a recipe by Karen Novak of McGinnis Sisters Store in Monroeville, PA)
  • 1 lb mushrooms, chopped (I used button mushrooms) 
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
  • 1 can (2 cups) coconut milk, full fat
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp dry minced onion
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup water
Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours at slow cooker setting.  You can garnish the soup with cilantro if you wish.  Enjoy this elegant and hearty soup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment