Saturday, January 9, 2016

Eggless Plant Based Vegetable Omelet


I had been trying to make an eggless omelet ever since I embraced the plant based approach to eating.  I finally found the proper proportion of ingredients which include whole grain and spices to make me happy eating an omelet made in an unconventional manner.  I did not want to use tofu which some plant based recipes have used since I want to limit my tofu intake for the week for balance in my repertoire.  I also want a preparation that will have the texture of a soft omelet as I savor it in my tongue.  Not dry but one that has that cushion like feel still there.  I would like it to be sturdy too.  Most of all I want one that utilizes whole grain if that is needed since I have a feeling I would have to resort to a batter type omelet.

I resorted to adding cornstarch to the whole wheat flour mixture to add that soft texture and feel to my tongue.  I used cumin and garlic powder to mask that woody taste that whole wheat imparts. For liquid I used unsweetened almond milk.

For vegetables, I knew I could not go wrong with adding green onions and sweet peppers.  I added mixed greens consisting of spinach, kale with some carrots in it which I bought ready to be used from Sam's Club. I wanted a no fuss recipe that I could make with not much concentration since I was not a morning person and this mixture fitted the bill.

I am happy to announce that I did it!.  I ate this omelet this morning with gusto with some catsup and toasted crisp baguette and fresh sliced grape tomatoes for freshness.  I was a satisfied happy camper not a depressed "why do I have to do this plant based approach" person.

I could just imagine what other recipes I could magically concoct with this wonderful batter.  This eggless omelet is a wonderful start.  Happy dance is what you would do with it.

Eggless Plant Based Vegetable Omelet


2 servings
  • 2 tbsp whole wheat flour   
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 6 tbsp non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tbsp green onions, chopped
  • 1-2 tbsp sweet peppers (I used yellow peppers), cubed
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed mixed greens of kale and spinach with shredded carrots
  • cooking spray
Combine all the flour, cornstarch and baking powder in a small bowl and mix with a fork.  Make a well in the middle of this mixture and add the milk, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Blend the mixture thoroughly.  Add the vegetables.  

Spray a pan with cooking spray and heat at medium heat.  Place the vegetable/batter mixture in two batches for easy flipping.  Cook till the batter is crisp but not burnt and the vegetables are cooked through. 

Serve with sliced tomatoes and baguette slices.  You can also eat the omelet with catsup of your choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment