Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast



This is an easy recipe for a pot roast.  I like to try to do away with as many steps as much as possible when I adapt a recipe from the web and find out if I can get away with it. When I cooked this pot roast,  I did not brown the rump roast before I placed it in the slow cooker as most recipes call for and I did away with adding wine as some others do. Neither did I make a flour butter roux for the gravy or used canned soup for the ultimate short cut. I just used ingredients which when combined together magically gives a flavorful stew. I practically just dump everything in the slow cooker and forget it. I could not believe how good the roast turned out. It was moist and melt in your mouth.  Most of all it was very tasty. My picky taster, my husband, gave it two thumbs up.

Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast

  • 2 cups water
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp peppercorn
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • 3 stalks celery, cut into two inch slices
  • 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
  • 2 tbsp corn starch in 4 tbsp water
  • 2.5 lb whole beef rump roast
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Add all the ingredients in the slow cooker except the rump roast, salt and pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Place the roast on top of the vegetables.  Add the salt and pepper on the surface of the roast and pour the Worcestershire sauce over it.  Push the roast down with the other ingredients. Cook for 4 hours at high setting or 8 hours at low.  I cooked mine in an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 3 hours at slow cooker setting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment