Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak with Water Chestnuts






The green pepper was on sale at Shop and Save two weeks ago so I had several in my fridge waiting to be used. The same grocery chain also had a sale of round steak a week ago.  This must be the reason, I woke up just craving pepper steak the way a former boyfriend, a native of Hongkong, from my grad school days at the George Washington University used to make. Researching the web, I came upon several recipes and I based this one on the wonderful slow cooker blog site, The Magical Slow Cooker.  I added several items to the original recipe like red pepper flakes for some heat and water chestnuts for crunch and also increased the amounts of ginger and garlic powder. Easy and convenient dish for any busy day of the week.  My picky taster, my husband, gave it two thumbs up.

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak with Water Chestnuts

  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch in 1/4 cup water
  • 2 beef bouillon in 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 tsp ginger powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1.5 lbs round steak or other kinds of beef, cut in strips
  • 2 green bell peppers, sliced into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 while onion, sliced
  • 1- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained

Place the first eight ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir the sauce mixture.  Add the meat and vegetables in the sauce mixture and mix.  Cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low setting.  I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 2 hours.  

Serve over rice.





No comments:

Post a Comment