Saturday, March 11, 2017

Vegan Fluffy Pancakes



One can be vegan and still eat fluffy pancakes. These are so fluffy even my carnivore of a husband gave them two thumbs up. I do not think he realized it was vegan.

He is picky with the pancakes I serve him and insists that they have the right texture. I used the recipe for the blueberry pancakes I prepared in a past blog for the batter since it produces the best blueberry pancakes ever and my picky husband can vouch for that. To make it vegan I substituted chia seeds I put in water for the eggs  For the buttermilk, I used almond milk to which I added vinegar. Any other non dairy milk will also work. I also used oil instead of butter. Despite all these substitutions, the texture of the vegan pancakes was as fluffy as those made from the original recipe. I added vanilla extract in this vegan version. You can add any fruit you have in the batter and chocolate chips to make your family happy but syrup and slices of banana on top would be enough. Heavenly!


Vegan Fluffy Pancakes

Adapted from this past blog
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds in 6 tbsp water
  • 2 cups almond milk or any other nondairy milk mixed with 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup cubed peeled apple or other fruit (optional)
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chip (optional)
In a large bowl blend well or sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add to this well the chia water mixture, milk with vinegar, oil and vanilla extract. Whisk together without over beating.

Fold the fruit and chocolate chips if using.

Heat oil in a griddle and add 1/4 cup of the batter per pancake. Cook for two to three minutes on each side. Add more oil to the pan per batch.

Top with bananas and maple syrup.




No comments:

Post a Comment