Friday, March 10, 2017

Vegan Black Bean Poblano Pepper Burger

  • I adapted this recipe from the one in Serious Eats which I converted to a vegan version by skipping the feta cheese and egg.  I used tofu and nutritional yeast to substitute for the feta cheese or you can use the recipe for Vegan Feta Cheese in this blog.  I used chia seeds in water for the egg. Since I did not have chipotle pepper in a can and its sauce, I added cumin, chili and coriander powders to give the burger its kick.  This recipe is one half the amount of the original recipe in Serious Eats.  
I decided to use my Vita Mix Blender to mix the ingredients except for the panko bread crumbs. It worked well for me.  I love the crunch of the walnuts when I bite into the burger patties. In other words I just pulsed the blender till the mixture was well mixed but you can choose to have a smooth mixture.

You can eat this like a regular burger in between buns or in my case with rice with a side of salad shown below because I just have to have my rice fix sometime during the day.  An Asian addiction.  




K



  • Vegan Black Bean Poblano Pepper Burger

  • 1 medium onion, quartered
  • 1/2 to 1 poblano pepper, quartered
  • 2 medium cloves garlic
  • 6 tbsp walnuts
  • 1/2 cup tofu. 
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds in 3 tbsp water
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Place all the ingredients except the panko bread crumbs in the blender or food processor in the sequence given and pulse till blended.  Transfer to a medium bowl and add the panko bread crumbs to the mixture and blend well. 

Form into six patties.  Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes which will give burgers with moist center and crispy outer layer.  If you bake for 30 minutes you will get a drier and crispier patties inside and outside if you desire that texture.




No comments:

Post a Comment