Monday, March 14, 2016

3 Minute Raisin Bread Pudding in a Mug (Plant Based)






This is a wonderful go to recipe when you are craving for a Raisin Bread Pudding just for one serving and had only stale whole wheat bread.  I thought of the mug cakes I had made before for one serving and I had always wanted to make bread pudding the same way.  Foods.com had a recipe for 3 minute Bread Pudding in a Mug which I used as a guide.  However, I wanted a plant based recipe which uses no eggs.

I have heard Aarti Sequeira mention in a TV show that one can use baking powder to substitute for eggs.  I decided to research that further and found the wonderful blog SheKnows.  It had a feature on egg substitutes which mentioned using baking powder as one of the options. According to this post, for one egg you can use two tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon oil and 2 teaspoons baking powder as a substitute.  For my first attempt, I used this combination minus the oil but the bread pudding turned mushy and boiled over apparently from too much liquid in the recipe and the presence of too much baking soda. So I tweaked the recipe in this final form below and it worked. I skipped adding the water to the mixture and tapered the baking powder to 1 teaspoon.  I love the result!.  It had a wonderful form and it did not boil over in all the three minutes it baked in the microwave.  It is very delicious also.









3 Minute Raisin Bread Pudding in a Mug (Plant Based)

  • 1/2 cup non dairy milk (I used cashew milk)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 pieces whole wheat bread, cubed
  • 1/2 -  1 tbsp raisins
Add the non dairy milk, baking powder, cinnamon and maple syrup in a large mug and stir with a fork till well mixed. Add to the mixture the cubed bread and soak for a minute.  Add the raisins.

Cook the bread mixture in the microwave for 3 minutes uncovered.  Let it stand for 1 minute before eating.   

Serve with more syrup or whipped cream or your favorite fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment