Saturday, March 5, 2016

Slow Cooker Roasted Potato Cheddar Soup


This robust soup will brighten your day and lighten your mood.  It is so comforting you will be singing Alleluia before Easter Sunday.  Roasting the potatoes does make a difference in the texture and taste of the soup.  I decided to microwave rather than use the conventional oven. The texture of the potato was what I desired. It has that bite to it which plain boiling could not achieve.

I was aiming for a creamy texture and I obtained that by using cashew milk which is the creamiest of all non dairy milk, cornstarch and the addition of non dairy Daiya cheddar cheese.  I did use the Tofurky pepperoni but I placed it as an optional ingredient since for me the cheddar cheese smokiness was enough to make the soup ultra rich and comparable to a regular non plant based version you get from Panera Bread for example. I love this soup and so did my carnivore husband, my picky taster.

Slow Cooker Roasted Potato Cheddar Soup

  • 6 medium sized potatoes, roasted in the oven or microwaved and sliced into large cubes
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 2 cups cashew milk or other non dairy milk
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch in 4 tbsp water
  • 8 slices Tofurky pepperoni, cut into bite sized pieces (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
  • 1 cup Daiya cheddar cheese
Saute the garlic, onions, celery and carrots in a pan using no oil at medium heat or directly in the crockpot set at saute setting.  (It works). Transfer this sauteed vegetables in the crockpot if using a pan.  Add the roasted potatoes, cashew milk, water, pepperoni pieces if using and cornstarch in water into the crockpot with the vegetables. Slow cook for 3 hours at high setting or 6 hours at low.  I cooked mine for 2 hours using an Aroma brand rice cooker/slow cooker at slow cooker setting.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. At the end of cooking, add the green onions and Daiya cheddar cheese and mix.  Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment