Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops With White Wine Gravy



Slow cooking is perfect for preparing pork chops with its gravy. I had to stay with my daughter and granddaughter at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Magee Hospital yesterday as my daughter nursed her newborn boy.  I thought of this dish which I could prepare before I left for the hospital and just forget it until I come home to prepare the birthday dinner for my daughter.

I served this with brown rice, crusty baguette, salad, and roasted potato and carrots. Plus of course cake and ice cream at the end of dinner.

My picky taster, my husband, gave it two thumbs up and so did my daughter and son in law. The white wine sauce gave it that special French touch.  The pork chops came out succulent and delicious smothered with the gravy and vegetables. Easy recipe without any sauteing involved. My kind of cooking.



Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops With White Wine Gravy

  • 2.5 lbs pork chops
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2 cups sliced mushroom
  • 4 tbsp dry onion flakes
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup wine
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch in 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 red pepper, sliced into strips
  • salt and more garlic powder to taste
Mix the flour, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Divide into two portions. Use the first portion to dredge each pork chop. Set the dredged pork chops aside.  

Mix the second portion of the flour mixture with the ingredients starting from the mushrooms up to the Worcestershire sauce in the slow cooker bowl. 

Stack the dredged pork chops on top of this mixture. Place the onion and pepper on top of the pork chops.

Slow cook for 4 hours at high setting or 8 hours at low setting. I cooked mine in an Aroma Brand rice cooker/slow cooker for 3 hours using the slow cooker setting. 

You can add salt and more garlic powder to taste at the end of cooking.

You can serve this with rice or potatoes, crusty bread and salad. Elegant and delicious. Cest magnifique!




No comments:

Post a Comment