Saturday, March 12, 2016

Family Happinesses



People are sometimes asked questions during interviews that take them by surprise.  They are usually simple ones, so simple one does not prepare for them ahead of time.  They are not the standard questions like, "Where do you see yourself in five years",  kind of questions that you memorize the answers for.

One question that was asked of me more than ten years ago was simply, "What do you do for fun?".  When I am asked questions that I was not prepared for I usually go through my week and picture in my mind what I did. My answer reflected that in the reply I gave.  I said,"I attend my children's activities as well as my husband's".  The interviewer apparently was not impressed with my answer and pressed me on to give something that was fun like reading a book or other hobbies. I am not sure now what I said after this prodding.

But you see that was what I was doing then and even now. Witnessing everything that was going on with my family's lives and enjoying it and supporting them in the process are the highlights of my life.  This was what I was doing these past two weeks which were filled with events that made my heart swelled with joy and pride.

My older daughter gave birth to her second child, a baby boy, four weeks earlier than the due date. This is extra especial and I am extra proud of my daughter since she gave a commanding and awesome performance giving birth to my new grandson.  First she held off giving birth for about thirty minutes so her husband who was flying from out of town, would be by her side. She went through a delicate natural delivery wherein the baby came through despite a ruptured placenta. There were a lot of commotions I gathered during the delivery but my daughter did well.


The next few days were when I saw my daughter's love for her children especially this new baby.  She spent hours in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Magee Hospital staying and nursing her premature baby. The nurses commented how her patient and conscientious nursing for more than a week really helped the baby go through some complications due to his premature conditions.  She was with him every single day without any complaint.


During this time, as I was going through facebook, I saw an entry by my other daughter announcing the recognition of both the cheerleading and dance teams she was coaching as a sport and not just a club. To top it all scholarships have been instituted for both teams.  Three years ago she was told by the athletic director this would happen but she and I did not expect it would. And this wonderful day arrived!.  I congratulate my daughter for her effort and tenacity for something she is passionate about and the generous recognition of the university for the cheerleading and dance teams as a sport.


Lastly, my husband who is an aspiring opera singer was in the opera Pirates of Penzance as the Sergeant of the Police. This is his first performance with the Savoyards Opera group.  He and the whole ensemble gave a superb performance. Most importantly my husband really enjoyed being with this new group and honing on his performance all this time.


My family's happiness is my happiness and it is the best of happinesses.  That is my idea of fun and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment