Thursday, April 14, 2016

Cauliflower Vegetable Curry



I bought several boxes of ready to eat Indian vegetarian dishes in microwaveable packets during a shopping trip at the Patel Indian Store in Monroeville PA.  Since the past week had been very hectic due to babysitting chores these ready made Indian delicacies had been my go to food for lunch, dinner and even breakfast. The curry sauce in these dishes were really tantalizing and haunting. They just made me crave them.  However, a couple of the packets had green peas and/or beans as their ingredients and I noticed that the arthritis or gout in my finger joints flared up after I ate these dishes.  I have a sensitivity to these two vegetables.

I decided to make my own plant based curry dish using cauliflower, eggplant and peppers.  I opted for cauliflower as one of the ingredients to add that crunch factor into the dish.  I originally wanted to use red curry paste but I could not find it in my loaded freezer.  I decided to use mostly curry powder and the other spices to mimic that rich sauce in the store bought Indian vegetarian dishes.

This dish got the thumbs up from my daughter Wendy who had it for lunch when she visited me.  She also gladly took some home. As for me, I had this morning, noon and night. that day and the next.

This is a healthy, easy and delicious alternative to store bought Indian dishes or the ones you eat at Indian buffets.  Do try it and you will be hooked.

Cauliflower Vegetable Curry

  • 1 tbsp olive oil or 2 tbsp water
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 2 tbsp fresh minced ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 tsp salt or according to taste
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 Japanese eggplant, cut into 1-inch slices
  • 1 yellow or green pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 red pepper, cut into strips 
  • 1 can coconut milk, full fat
  • 1/2 cups vegetable broth (optional for thinning the sauce)
  • Cilantro
Heat the olive oil or water (if you are strictly plant based) in a large saute pan at medium heat.   Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Saute these spices till the onion is translucent.  Add the curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, turmeric, tomato paste and salt and continue to saute till the spices are heated through. Add the cauliflower, eggplant, peppers, coconut milk and vegetable broth (if using) and allow the mixture to simmer till the vegetables are cooked but still crispy.  Season with more salt if needed.  Garnish with cilantro. Serve with naan bread or rice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment