Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Napa Cabbage Cilantro Mint Rice Paper Wrap with Almond Thai Sauce





I wanted a Vietnamese Rice Paper Wrap that did not require any chopping and using as little ingredients as possible.  I just purchased a big bunch of cilantro from the Patel Indian Store in Monroeville and a bag of mint that I wanted to use while fresh.  I also had some left over Napa cabbage that was sitting in the vegetable crisper in the refrigerator.  I was pretty tired to chop any other vegetables so I decided to stick with these two herbs and the Napa cabbage to satisfy my craving for a Vietnamese style rice paper wrap.

This definitely will not be complete without a good sauce and I opted to mix almond butter in a jar with store bought Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. Peanut butter can also be used instead of the almond butter but I am allergic to it.  

I had this yesterday for breakfast and again today.  It is that satisfying and comforting.  You can add more stuff to the ingredient list of this recipe but for me this works.  No chopping.  Hooray.  I have my fiber (vegetables and herbs) and protein from the almond butter plus the variety of nutrients from all of them.

Napa Cabbage Cilantro Mint Rice Paper Wrap with Almond Thai Sauce

4 wraps

  • 8 Napa cabbage leaves
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • 16 mint leaves
  • 4 rice paper
Place one rice paper one at a time in a shallow bowl filled with water enough to submerge each rice paper.  Leave it there until it is no longer crispy and you can lift it up without tearing.  Do not over soak.  

Transfer the rice paper into a plate and place two whole pieces of Napa cabbage in the middle of the rice paper and arrange the cilantro and 2 or more mint leaves on top so they are evenly distributed on the cabbage.  Fold one end of the rice paper over the vegetables and tightly push it towards you and then roll the rice paper tightly.  Cut in half and serve with the Almond Butter Thai Chili Sauce (recipe below).

Almond Butter Thai Chili Sauce
  • 4 tbsp almond butter
  • 2 tbsp Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
  • water if needed 
Place the almond butter and Thai Sweet Chili Sauce in a small bowl and mix with fork until smooth. You may add water to thin it out if you like a thinner consistency.  I prefer mine thick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment