Monday, April 25, 2016

Indian Quinoa or Super Grains Mix Pudding






I prepared Alton Brown's Indian Rice Pudding about two or three years ago and I never forgot how good it was.  I had a bag of Super Grains Mix which is a blend of buckwheat, millet, red quinoa and white quinoa.  I have about 4 cups cooked ones made which I have been eaten with my plant based food like Plant Based Filipino Sinigang etc. and I have plenty still left.

That rice pudding was haunting me with its goodness and I decided to resurrect it using the cooked Super Grains Mix.  I did tweak Alton Brown's recipe for the rice pudding skipping the cream.  I decided to add cinnamon to the mixture while cooking and sprinkled the cardamon on the cooked dish before eating.  The cardamon's taste is more intense this way rather than added to the mixture while cooking.

This delicious can be eaten without the garnish I used in the pictures like mint and berries which was used mainly for a dash of color.  The raisins and nuts (I used walnut but pistachio is more traditional) plus the sprinkling of cardamon will take you to Taj Mahal or bollywood.  Yes.


 








Indian Quinoa or Super Grains Mix Pudding


  • 1 cup cooked quinoa or cooked super grains mix (buckwheat, millet, red and white quinoa) (Note 1)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk full fat from can
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
  • cardamon (optional) (note 2)
Combine cooked quinoa or cooked super grain mix, almond milk, coconut milk, cinnamon and maple syrup in a saute pan. Mix with a whisk.  Allow to boil and then simmer till thick with constant stirring with a spatula or whisk. About 5 minutes. 

Remove from heat.  Add the raisins and nuts and mix. You can sprinkle cardamon on top before serving.

You can garnish with mint leaves and red berries if you wish.

Notes:

1.  Run water through the super grains mix and drain through a colander or sieve.  Do this till the grainy smell disappears.  Drain well through the colander or sieve and transfer to the rice cooker or pot and add water.  It is 1 part quinoa or super grains mix to 2 parts water.

2.  Alton Brown added the cardamon to the rest of the ingredients while cooking.  I prefer that it be sprinkled on the top of the cooked pudding.  The cardamon retains its flavor this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment