Friday, April 1, 2016

Chia Strawberry Orange Delite


I was pleasantly surprised the chia seeds easily plumped up in coconut milk (full fat from a can).  I have not seen that before.  It also got thicker quickly.  I have been using almond and cashew milk so this is a pleasant surprise. I decided to conduct an experiment to find out if what I am seeing is not just the pigment of my imagination.  So I added 2 tbsp chia seeds to 6 tbsp of coconut milk in one container and the same ingredients in another container but this time using almond milk.  Here are the results.

2 tbsp chia seeds in coconut milk

2 tbsp chia seeds in almond milk
Conclusion: if you want a non dairy milk that is faster in setting and plumping, use coconut milk.  It does have higher calories especially if using full fat.

Coconut milk has a distinct taste and some do love that flavor.  However, I wanted the fruity flavor to stand out so I used a mix of strawberry, banana and orange marmalade.  The addition of the latter added another notch to the dessert.

I went shopping at the Patel Indian Store in Monroeville and bought cilantro and mint among other things. They were cheap and abundant for the price you pay.  So I tried topping this dessert with mint and ate it with this herb and wow.  It was refreshing.  Good mint is good mint. The one I grew last summer did not have that same taste. It must be of a different variety. I am in love with it now.


Chia Strawberry Orange Delite

  • 6 tbsp coconut milk full fat from a can
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 cup strawberries, sliced
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • 2 tbsp orange marmalade
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp water
  • strawberry and mint for garnish
Combine all the ingredients except the garnishes in a bowl and mix with a fork or use a blender for a smoother texture (I prefer mine rustic).  Transfer into containers and garnish with strawberry and mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment