Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Non Dairy Cheesy Vegetable Pasta


I have been very busy lately helping my daughter take care of her new born baby and toddler. I have resorted to frozen dishes to serve my family when they drop by.

I used a creamy chicken vegetable pasta a few days ago and it was pretty good.  I am plant based and wants to stay with this approach so I decided on making a no meat non dairy version.

I have been using Daiya brand non dairy cheeses and love it. This was what I used in this plant based version of cheesy vegetable pasta. I also used cornstarch stirred into almond milk to further thicken the creamy texture of the sauce.

I used the vegetables that I had in the fridge, carrots, celery and zucchini,  but other combinations are possible. Peas, grean beans and corn come to mind.

The result is something that satisfied my craving for a cheesy creamy saucy vegetable laden pasta dish that is plant based. Any carnivore will love this dish too.

Non Dairy Cheesy Vegetable Pasta


  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 2 stalks celery , sliced
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced into cubes
  • 2 tsp garlic dry flakes
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup Daiya non dairy shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of cooked pasta of your choice
Mix the cornstarch into the almond milk in a small bowl and set aside.  

Place the water, onion, carrots and celery in a saute pan.  Allow to boil gently till the carrots are cooked.    

Add the cornstarch in almond milk, zucchini and garlic flakes into te boiling mixture.  Lower the heat and allow the mixture to simmer till the sauce gets thick and the zucchini heated through but not overcooked.

Add the cheddar cheese and mix till melted with the rest of the ingredients.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Add a cup of cooked pasta of your choice and mix.



No comments:

Post a Comment